Alien Horde 2: Tyranid Spore Mines and Spawners

These figures are a blast from the past. The Battle for Macragge box was a starter set for the fourth edition of Warhammer 40k. It released in 2004, but I picked up a copy in England in 2006. These were basically some of my first miniatures. Some 17 years later, I've finally painted them up as part of a larger project to build an army of aliens. Here's what we've got:

  • Large Spawner
  • Small Spawner (3)
  • Spore Mine - Frag (4)
  • Spore Mine - Gas (2)
  • Spore Mine - Acid (2)

This is basically the same color scheme that I used for the Rock Worms, but I didn't write it down then, so I can't be absolutely sure. For future reference, I'm writing it down now:

  • Carapace: FolkArt Coffee Brown (940), FolkArt Real Brown (231), FolkArt Coffee Latte (2559)
  • Fleshy Bits: Ceramcoat Dark Foliage Green (02535), Ceramcoat Medium Foliage Green (02536)
  • Drybrush: Vallejo Game Extra Opaque Heavy Ochre (72.150)
  • Bone/Accent: Vallejo Game Color Bonewhite (72.034)
  • Wash: Citadel Agrax Earthshade

The basing material is Vallejo "Dark Earth" Earth Texture (26.218), which is about 1/7 the price of Citadel basing stuff like Stirland Battlemire (about $2 per oz compared to $14 per oz). I prefer Battlemire in general, but this looks nice and is just so much more economical.

Comments