Retainers (3/5): Cavalry

Here are the noble's three riders. There's a pistolier and two lancers. This is the first time I've ever painted horses, and I'm happy with the result. They're not as difficult as I expected, at least for a half-decent job like this. All of the horses and riders are from the Perry Miniatures "Light Cavalry 1450-1500" box. It's a phenomenal box that pairs wonderfully with the Warlord Games' Landsknecht boxes.

With arms taken from an English Civil War sprue, the pistolier wields a sword and pistol. This was my test model, and I painted the horse and rider separately before attaching the rider to the saddle. (That was quite a hassle, so I fully assembled the other two cavalry before starting to paint them.) I tried for a dappled effect on the horse by flicking paint onto it, but it definitely isn't worth the time or mess to repeat. I like the way this fellow turned out. In a pinch, he could definitely be a lesser noble himself.

The two lancers are entirely built from the Perry box. Each is armed with a lance in one hand, along with a sheathed sword at the opposite hip. The first lancer has his weapon lowered, charging in for the kill. The other is modeled with is lance up, turning to look at something that caught his attention. Both riders have identical helmets (which I love). I made a mistake when assembling these guys, but it's not super noticeable. While painting these chaps, I came up with a Fighter 5/Rogue Swashbucker 3 (D&D) build for them that would make them an absolute killer against melee-oriented PCs in an open environment.

Comments