Retainers (2/5): Ranged fighters

This second batch from the noble's retinue consists of his ranged fighters. Surprise! It's guns!

There are six arquebusiers and one, uh, sniper? Let's deal with the regular folks first. Each arquebusier is built primarily of Warlord Games' Landsknecht parts. All of the bodies and arms come from those sprues, as do the hip pouches and sheathed daggers that each one carries. The heads are a bit of a mix, however. As far as I can recollect, most of them are from the Landsknecht sprue, but the lady's head is from the Warlord Games "Project Z" female survivor sprue. (I've mined that sprue for so many heads, but it's almost empty now. Good, realistically-proportioned 28mm female heads are hard to find.)

The orange-haired fellow's head is from the Frostgrave soldiers sprue; I think it's the most recognizable head from that box. Looking at him, I get a strange Donald Sutherland vibe from him. It might be the eyes.

I made sure each arquebusier carries a dagger sheathed on their belt for when the enemy gets too close, though I suppose the stout handguns would make hefty clubs. 

The marksman is built in much the same way as the rest, with a few modifications. His gun is the same arquebus as everyone else, but I cut off the part beyond the little bump near the front and replaced it with a length of spear shaft to extend the barrel. The forked support stick is from a Warlord Swedish Infantry box. The completely anachronistic scope is from some modern soldier sprue, but I can't remember which one. It's huge and hilarious. He also has a sword instead of a dagger because he's more important.

In Warcry, for which these guys were originally intended, the marksman figure was meant to represent a "Marksman with Long Rifle" and would have been the leader (or hero) for my warband.

When I add more ranged troops to this lucky noble's forces, they'll probably be militia armed with bows or crossbows, built from the simpler (and more quickly-painted) Perry Agincourt parts. Any further arquebusiers I whip up will still get the cool Landsknecht outfits and equipment, though.

Comments