Mordheim Terrain: Pie Shoppe Ruins & Fish Plaza Statue

I love the aesthetic of Mordheim ruins. With a campaign soon to start, I figured now would be a good time to make some terrain. Here are the two fruits of my labor: a ruined pie shoppe and a huge fish statue for a plaza.

First, we have the Pie Shoppe. This building is a staggered ruin with about a 6" square footprint. It stands 9.75" tall. The shoppe is made entirely of black foamcore and craft wood (dowels, coffee stirrers, popsicle sticks, etc.). This is my second attempt at making a ruined building; the first was a few years ago, and take my word for it when I tell you this building is a lot better.

The exterior is Craftsmart Brick Red mixed with varying levels of black paint. The interior is Craftsmart Dark Blue mixed with, as you might guess, varying levels of black paint. The wood is FolkArt Coffee Bean (940) mixed with... varying levels of black paint. Finally, everything was drybrushed with FolkArt matte Coffee Latte (2559) to really tie it all together. Then I added some fine turf flock ("Weeds") and clump foliage ("Conifer") from Woodland Scenics. When everything was complete, I heavily sprayed the whole thing with a Mod Podge mix which, while it made it a little shiny for these pictures, should also protect the paint job and flock during play.

Second, we have the Fish Statue. This is a large statue with a 4.75" square footprint that stands about 8.5" tall. The base is some kind of bumpy cardboard shipping material that I painted up like stone. The big fish statue is a Reaper Miniatures "Gulper" that came with the Bones 4 Kickstarter; I had no idea what to do with it, but since Mordheim has a fish motif, I rolled with it. The skeleton on the gulper's fin is from Wargames Atlantic, one of the torsos with no attached legs; I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. The smaller pikemen statues on each corner are Warlord Games Landsknecht Pikemen. Both the fish and the pikemen were painted up with bronze (or another, similar metallic paint), then covered with Citadel Nihilakh Oxide. I'm not sure if it's quite the effect I was going for, but it looks fine.

Pie Shoppe Ruins: 6"x6" (36 in²)

Fish Plaza Statue: 4.75"x4.75" (22.56 in²)

Total: 58.56 in²

A 4'x4' table (48"x48") is 2,304 in². If I were to aim for terrain coverage for half of the board, then it would mean it needs 1,152 in² of terrain. So, 58.56/1152 = 5%? If I aimed for covering one quarter of the board with terrain, that would mean 576 in², which would be about 10% done. That seems more manageable, so I'll set that as the goal. (I don't know if I'll even try to hit that goal, but it's a number to aim for.)

Comments