Supervillain: Nox

Can they be considered "leftover" parts if they're used before the project they were bought for? This is Nox, a supervillain I kitbashed together from a whole bunch of different sources. As of the time of writing, he's the most recent model I've painted.

The color scheme here is pretty basic. We have military-esque earth-tones for the pants, boots, body armor, and backpack. The main tunic is orange, which pops, and while it's bright, it's used relatively sparingly and doesn't really overwhelm the other colors. The face is a mix of peach flesh and sage green (though it does lean towards green), representing a virulent pall over his skin. His hair is green, which does make him look kind of Jokerish (specially with the widow's peak), but I think it turned out nicely.

Here's what the miniature is made out of:
  • Torso: Anvil Industries PMC Armor
  • Legs: Games Workshop Cadian Shock Troops
  • Head: Frostgrave Cultists
  • Arms and Left Hand: Frostgrave Soldiers
  • Right Hand: Anvil Industries Modern Pistols
  • Gas Mask: Anvil Industries Respirator Heads
  • Backpack: Anvil Industries Modern Backpacks
To elaborate, there's a lot of Anvil Industries resin stuff here. I usually try to get miniatures on the cheap, but Anvil is pretty expensive. Thankfully, skirmish games only require a handful of models per side, which means you can splurge a bit on each model. In this case, my Zona Alfa squad is going to have five models, but the Anvil sprue has six torsos... and there's a spare gas mask... and an unneeded pistol. Of course, I needed legs, but I have a bunch of old Cadian Guardsmen that I'd be happy to cannibalize. (As a side note, I got my Cadians twelve years ago and they still make the exact same sprue. Come on, Games Workshop.) The arms worked out really well from the Frostgrave soldier sprue, and I'm impressed by how well the hand joined up to the wrist (the lower right corner of the finished picture shows how seamless it is). The head was the final piece I chose, and it's supposed to be an undead or vampire or something from the Frostgrave cultists, but it works for a plague-ridden fellow quite well.

The character in question I'm now calling John Nox, because he isn't quite the same as the version I started from. The character pictured to the left I called Rot, and he's gone through a number of iterations over the years (as comics characters are wont to do). The first two versions pictured are from old versions of "Fábrica de Heróis" online superhero maker from at least a decade ago. The last one is a minimalist pixel art version of the same. I have to say, I loved making characters in the "Diniverse" style generator (the one on the far left); I must have made over a hundred.

In any case, both the original Rot and the (paramilitary, possibly rebooted) Nox are walking plague factories whose very breath is virulent/toxic or whatever works for the story. Comics are not known for perfect continuity.

I'm very happy with this model in pretty much every respect. Now to pick some superhero rules!

Comments